LASER HAIR REMOVAL
Complimentary consultations are available to answer any and all of your questions. During your consultation your Laser technician will go over the desired treatment in full detail. We will explain how to prepare for treatment and how to take care of the area post treatment. We will advise you of all do’s and don’ts while receiving laser services as well as what to expect while receiving treatment.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS DO I NEED?
This depends on many variables; skin tone, hair color, texture, area being treated and the laser technology used. Hair growth is influenced by many factors. Age, ethnicity, hormones, medication, metabolism, weight gain and genetics all play a part in hair location, thickness and resilience. Generally, on average most clients require 8-10 treatments for areas on the body spaced 6-8 weeks apart and 10-12 treatments for areas on the face spaced 2-4 weeks apart to achieve permanent reduction. Fewer treatments are needed if your goal is simply to reduce shaving and maintenance. In areas where hair is hormonally induced (i.e. a woman’s face) clients could require more treatments. In these situations, treatment may be required on an ongoing basis as hair growth continues to be influenced by hormones.
WHAT RESULTS CAN I EXPECT?
In practice no laser destroys every hair follicle. Some follicles are destroyed, others are miniaturized into fine hairs, and others are shocked into prolonged dormancy. True “permanent hair removal” can ultimately be achieved, but not for every single hair in a given area. Results can vary from 60 to 90% reduction and are dependent on a number of factors including hair colour and coarseness, skin colour, hair density, and treatment area. Multiple treatments are needed and the best interval between sessions depends on the hair cycle growth patterns in that area of the body. Most people are very pleased with their results, as long as they are told what to expect before they have laser hair removal treatment.
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS?
Short-term side effects may include:
- Slight redness and swelling around the hair follicle.
- Slight rash may occur on areas that are difficult to exfoliate such as where ingrown hairs are present.
- Other reactions such as burns or blisters are possible but rare and will be discussed during your consultation.
A stubble or growth may appear in the days or weeks after treatment. This is the old hair shedding from the follicle and will fall away from the skin with gentle rubbing. The area must be protected from sun exposure for the duration of your treatments and sunscreen should always be applied (this will also be thoroughly discussed during the consultation). Our number one priority is your safety. Patients are well educated, and informed on how they can participate to help reduce risk. Our policy for problems/concerns, should they occur, includes same day appointments, and follow-up with your Medical Esthetician/Laser Technician.
WHO IS AN IDEAL CANDIDATE?
Anyone over the age of 18 (unless accompanied by a parent), who has unwanted facial or body hair which is darker than their skin colour is usually a good candidate. While lasers are safe and effective for most people, they don’t work effectively on blonde and white hair, despite claims that suggest otherwise. Permanent reduction of red hair is possible but in most cases the patient will require additional treatments and realize much lower hair reduction levels. Contraindications also need to be considered when deciding if you are a good candidate for laser hair removal; medical history and current medications may affect safety and efficacy. Here are a few examples:
- Hirsutism: Excessive body hair (Hirsutism) can be a symptom of an underlying medical condition. Such conditions are generally hormone related, e.g. polycystic ovarian syndrome. If you have excessive body hair you should first consult your GP to rule out any underlying health problems, which could be causing hirsutism and ultimately affect your response to laser hair removal treatment.
- Chronic Herpes: Laser hair removal treatment can cause problems for those with active or chronic herpes simplex viral infections. You may require a course of antiviral medication starting several days before treatment. Antiviral medication is particularly important if you suffer from viral lesions on the area you want to have treated.
- Keloid Scarring: Care should also be taken if you suffer from hypertrophic scarring or keloid formation. This may cause problems with skin healing if the skin blisters after treatment.
- Psoriasis, bleeding disorders, vitiligo and severe histamine reactions: If you have any of these conditions treatment should be approached with caution
- Sunburn, Laser Surfacing, Chemical Peels: Laser hair removal treatment should not be carried out on skin which is sunburnt, or had recent surgeries such as laser resurfacing and chemical peels.
- Tattoos: There is a risk of altering the appearance of tattoos. If you have a tattoo in the treatment area, you should consider your decision carefully. The laser can cause changes in some pigments; they can be lightened or darkened.
- Accutane: Isotretinoin (commercially known as Accutane) can cause skin sensitivity and increase risk of burning from laser treatment. Medication should be discontinued for 6-12 months prior to undergoing treatment.
- Photosensitizing drugs: Certain laser wavelengths may activate photosensitizing drugs. Avoiding lasers operating in these wavelengths would be a safer alternative. Auto-Immune Disorders: An autoimmune disorder occurs when the body’s immune system attacks and destroys healthy body tissue by mistake. There are more than 80 types of autoimmune disorders.
WHAT ARE THE COSTS?
We have single session prices, as well as package deals which are available when you purchase a minimum of 3 more sessions. Check out our Monthly Specials for any featured pricing or contact your local spa for an individual quote. For more information about Laser Hair Removal, call us or come see us at one of our Vivacité locations for a free consultation.
For more information about Laser Hair Removal, call us or come see us at one of our Vivacité locations for a free consultation.
Prices listed below are regular, pay as you go, per session prices. Ask about our package pricing and various monthly promotions and receive up to 50% off per treatment when purchased in a series. 6-8 sessions are recommended for body and 8-12 for facial areas.
- AB LINE $45.99
- AREOLA $35.99
- ARM (FULL) $150.99
- ARM (UPPER) $99.99
- ARM (LOWER) $99.99
- BACK (FULL) $200.99
- BACK (UPPER) $130.99
- BACK (LOWER) $130.99
- BACKSIDE BRAZILIAN $49.99
- BIKINI $85.99
- EXTENDED BIKINI $105.99
- BRAZILIAN $150.99
- BUTTOCKS $99.99
- CHEST AND STOMACH $200.99
- UPPER CHEST $130.99
- CHIN $59.99
- UPPER LIP $47.99
- EARLOBES $20.99
- FACE (FULL) $149.99
- FACE (HALF) $110.99
- FEET $39.99
- HANDS $39.99
- FINGERS $19.99
- INNER THIGHS $79.99
- KNEES $49.99
- LEGS (FULL) $249.99
- LEGS (UPPER) $150.99
- LEGS (LOWER) $150.99
- MALE BRAZILIAN $175.99
- MALE STOMACH $130.99
- NECK (FULL) $70.99
- NECK (FRONT) $70.99
- SHOULDERS $69.99
- SIDE BURNS $40.99
- SPOT TREATMENT (LARGE) $49.99
- SPOT TREATMENT (SMALL) $19.99
- TOES $15.99
- UNDERARMS $45.99
- RAZOR CHARGE $1.50 (if touch-ups are needed)
- SHAVE CHARGE $25.00 (if full shave is needed)